Another link roundup for the books! Featuring our very own #CDOTWOTY bracket, an off-the-charts cool string quartet, and, yep, Hildegard von Snowman.
1. This 11-year-old cancer survivor is already an accomplished violinist -- watch him play the national anthem at the Carolina Hurricanes' "Hockey Beats Cancer" night:
2. "Work like hell, stay curious, and realize that people around you are actually much nicer than you think they might be." Sir Simon Rattle gives 7 pieces of advice on the BBC Young Musician Podcast.
3. When it comes to string quartets, Brooklyn Rider's coolness factor is off the charts. Their album "Dreamers," with Magos Herrera, ranked 15th on NPR Music's list of the 50 best albums of 2018 -- and now you can watch this 360-degree video of them performing "Balderrama":
4. Another artist who was feautred on NPR's top albums of the year - Mitski, #2 on the list with her album "Be the Cowboy" - tweeted about Bach as an inspiration.
I think essentially Be The Cowboy was about a woman who walks down the street with this energyhttps://t.co/xj5r6Ig2Gh
— mitski (@mitskileaks) December 6, 2018
5. Here's the New York Times's list of the best classical music of 2018.
6. It's gift-giving season! Strings Magazine asked 7 musicians about the best gifts they ever gave to other string players.
7. Feeling festive? Here's "Frosty the Snowman," sung in the style of music by Hildegard von Bingen:
8. By the way... have you seen our CD Of The Week (Of The Year) bracket? Vote on Twitter for your favorite albums! Here's the beginning of the thread:
— 99.5 WCRB, Classical Radio Boston (@995WCRB) December 5, 2018
— 99.5 WCRB, Classical Radio Boston (@995WCRB) December 7, 2018