The BSO Ships Up to Boston
This week's link roundup features a healthy dose of the Red Sox, plus some unexpected musical projects from a few of our favorite composers. Onward!
1. The only thing better than yoga might be yoga with meditative tunes played by a live orchestra. That's exactly what you'll get if you attend the "Music and Mindfulness" series hosted in Washington, D.C. with the American Pops Orchestra.
2. Fans of space opera and sci-fi, rejoice! Michael Giacchino is composing music for a ballet based on the film Jupiter Ascending. I can only hope it involves roller skates and, well, bees.
3. It's Black History Month in the UK, so our friends over at Classic FM put together a list of 7 Black composers who changed the course of classical music history.
4. 11-time Oscar-nominated composer Hans Zimmer (whose score for Dunkirk was a personal favorite last year) is taking on a surprising new project: a Spongebob Squarepants origin movie. One has to wonder, will he include his signature "BWAAAAAAAAAH" sound?
5. Visit the Rue de Rome, a Paris street that's home to expert bow-makers of all stripes.
6. Take a look at the oldest musical instrument ever found in Italy -- it's over 5,000 years old, and archaeologists speculate it could be a lyre or a lute.
7. A dancer for the Boston Ballet weighs in on Benintendi's amazing catch:
8. And, of course: