Plus, instrument theft, Andrew Garfied, and the Human Saxophone. Buckle up!
1. What does a symphony mean, really? And what about when it has words? Benjamin Carlson writes about Beethoven's 9th for The Atlantic.
3. Tosan Arugha's saxophone skills are insane -- especially considering he doesn't even use a saxophone.
A post shared by CNN Africa (@cnnafrica) on
Apr 23, 2019 at 10:41am PDT
4. Actor Andrew Garfield is reportedly playing pianist James Rhodes in an upcoming drama biopic called "Instrumental."
5. "New York minimalism, Renaissance polyphony and early ’90s R&B. That’s the only music you ever need." The New York Times profiled viol player Liam Byrne, whose love for period instruments doesn't stop him from playing music by modern composers like Nadia Sirota.
6. In case you missed it: this is the priceless moment the whole classical music world has been talking about this week.
— 99.5 WCRB, Classical Radio Boston (@995WCRB) May 8, 2019
...and here's what it sounds like: